- WE WILL meet and talk with you and a support person if you wish, at a place of your choice.
- WE WILL take your assault seriously, regardless of gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, age, physical ability, or whether the violence is stranger, acquaintance, or alcohol or drug related.
- WE WILL not pre-judge you. Our belief is that the perpetrators, not their victims, are responsible for crimes.
- WE WILL treat you with sensitivity, dignity, understanding and courtesy.
- WE WILL assist you in arranging for your medical needs, including hospital treatment if necessary.
- WE WILL help you connect with an advocate, to assist you with your safety, counseling, advocacy and any other needs.
- WE WILL not release your name to the public or to the media, unless you ask us to do.
- WE WILL discuss with you the criminal justice process.
- WE WILL fully investigate the violent act against you, which may lead to arrest and prosecution of the offender. You will be kept informed throughout the process.
- WE WILL continue to be available for you, to answer your questions, to explain the systems and processes involved, and to be a willing listener.
If you feel more comfortable speaking with an officer of a specific gender, WE WILL do our best to accommodate your request.
UC Merced Police Department